Roofing Project Checklist
Proper planning is the key to every successful project, especially when it’s as important as a new roof or roofing repairs. This checklist of hints, guidelines, Dos and Don’ts will help ensure your roofing project goes off as smooth as possible.
- Select which roofing material best complements your home. (For help, read our tips for shingle color and shape.)
- Select contractor with extreme care. Request to see a license and insurance. Ask neighbors for recommendations of roofing contractors, or contact your local Home Depot store for a Home Depot roofing installer.
- Look into financing options. Learn more about Home Depot’s consumer credit.
- Plan work when costs will be most competitive, e.g., outside the rainy season.
- Prepare for disruption, noise, dust and debris.
- Confirm the scope of the work to be completed (including clean up) in writing.
- Understand the critical roof areas and how they will be detailed, e.g., flashings, valleys and vents. (Don’t know the parts of your roof? Go to the Roofing Glossary)
- The contractor should secure all necessary permits.
- Review/understand manufacturer’s installation instructions. Should you choose an Owens Corning® product, contact us at 1-800-ROOFING with any questions.
- Make yourself accessible to contractor.